Eleanor A. Brooks
Blindness Support Center
Click here to open brochure
For over a century, Oak Hill has been at the forefront of providing services to people with blindness and low vision in Connecticut. Our program, the Eleanor A. Brooks Blindness Support Center, specializes in working with
individuals who seek assistive technology (AT) solutions. These services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- assess needs and identify appropriate AT for students
of all ages;
- professional development for educators and staff;
- AT consultations and evaluations;
- experiential workshops to promote community awareness;
- train individuals in the use of software and tools such as
screen reading, screen magnification as well as scanning
and reading programs for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android
and Chrome-based devices;
- presentations on the use of AT and independence at local
facilities and national events;
- connect individuals, friends and families to available
resources in their community;
- assessments and training for people who are deaf/blind
We collaborate with various programs and agencies including the Veterans’ Administration, Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind, Department of Rehabilitation Services, the CT Tech Act Project and many others.
This Center is led by Steve Famiglietti, Blind Services Vocational Manager.
Steve has been legally blind since birth, he travels the country with his
guide dog, and has spent over 20 years working with AT. He has experienced first-hand how AT can play a major role in allowing people with low vision or total blindness to have the same opportunities as their sighted peers. His unique experiences allow him to shed light on how technology can benefit people in their daily lives, increase independence and facilitate productive working environments. Steve is passionate about the services he provides and the life changing impacts they can have for people.
To get started, please contact Steve Famiglietti at 860-286-3100, email Steve.Famiglietti@oakhillct.org or check out our Assistive Technology Services page for more information.